Media Center Control

Full Version: Configuring for use over mobile phone network
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got MCC working fine over my home WiFi network. But I want to be able to remotely set up a TV recording when I am out and about, with no WiFi access. Is this possible and what settings do I need to make it work over the mobile phone data network?
Hi, it's possible. All you need to do is setting a route on your internet router redirecting the port, set in the MCC Server settings, to be forwarded to your Windows Media Center PC.
You can find some more informations in the user manual. (MCC and the internet)
(08-04-2014 04:51 PM)MGehlhaar Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, it's possible. All you need to do is setting a route on your internet router redirecting the port, set in the MCC Server settings, to be forwarded to your Windows Media Center PC.

I have followed the instructions in the User Manual for setting up to work over the Internet but there is still a problem. When I run up the MCC client on my Smartphone, I get the message "Connecting to 192.168.2.5...". It just sits there with this message for as long as I leave it. Mobile network signal strength is good so that is not the problem. What else can I try please?
(Note that when I switch to WiFi, MCC client still works OK over my home network. It is just the connection via the mobile data network/internet that will not work, but this is the most important means of access for me.
(08-06-2014 01:12 PM)TrickyDicky Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-04-2014 04:51 PM)MGehlhaar Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, it's possible. All you need to do is setting a route on your internet router redirecting the port, set in the MCC Server settings, to be forwarded to your Windows Media Center PC.

I have followed the instructions in the User Manual for setting up to work over the Internet but there is still a problem. When I run up the MCC client on my Smartphone, I get the message "Connecting to 192.168.2.5...". It just sits there with this message for as long as I leave it. Mobile network signal strength is good so that is not the problem. What else can I try please?
(Note that when I switch to WiFi, MCC client still works OK over my home network. It is just the connection via the mobile data network/internet that will not work, but this is the most important means of access for me.

Could it be something to do with the WAN connection type which is PPPoA?
Hi TrickyDicky, you have to enter your external IP you got from your internet provider. You need to entries in the computers list. One for home network (192.168.x.x) and one for external connect. If you get a dynamic IP address from your provider you can use a service like DynDNS to get a name for your current IP address.
(08-08-2014 09:27 AM)MGehlhaar Wrote: [ -> ]Hi TrickyDicky, you have to enter your external IP you got from your internet provider. You need to entries in the computers list. One for home network (192.168.x.x) and one for external connect. If you get a dynamic IP address from your provider you can use a service like DynDNS to get a name for your current IP address.

Many thanks Markus. I think that it needs to be clearer in the instructions that you need the two entries in the computer list. Anyway, I now have it working using an external IP address but now need to sort out dynamic DNS to take care of changes in that IP address.
Thanks again,
Reference URL's