Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto Launch with WMC in Windows 8.1
02-11-2014, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 06:54 AM by enek.)
Auto Launch with WMC in Windows 8.1
So I've played around a bit with MCC an WMC in Windows 8.1. I have a few observations and just wanted someone to verify this is the expected behaviour.

1. "Start MCC with Windows" doesn't work. This isn't much of a surprise since you can't even autostart WMC with Windows 8.1 anymore. Work around is to copy the MCC shortcut to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\"

2. If I click the MCC shortcut, MCC runs in the taskbar, WMC starts and I am able to connect via my android device. SUCCESS!

However, If I start WMC, the MCC addin starts but the MCC program does not (not running in taskbar). My android device cannot connect to MCC.

It appears the MCC Windows Service running does not affect the operation of MCC at all. It's my assumption that the service is what should launch MCC when a connection attempt is made. On my computer it appears the MCC service running fine and is listening on port 50295.

Is there anyway to get the MCC program to run when Media Center and MCC addin is running without manually executing the MCC program? What is the the MCC Service supposed to do?
Find all posts by this user
02-14-2014, 10:33 AM
RE: Auto Launch with WMC in Windows 8.1
Hi, if you start the app it communicates with the service which triggers a scheduled task in Windows to start the server. The firewall must be set to allow the service to communicate inbound. And the scheduled task is set to a user account. Maybe you have installed MCC with another user? then you have to change the user which executes the scheduled task manually.
02-16-2014, 01:30 AM
(02-14-2014 10:33 AM)MGehlhaar Wrote:  Hi, if you start the app it communicates with the service which triggers a scheduled task in Windows to start the server. The firewall must be set to allow the service to communicate inbound. And the scheduled task is set to a user account. Maybe you have installed MCC with another user? then you have to change the user which executes the scheduled task manually.

Thanks for the information. I tried all these things.

Firewall is completely disabled, Service runs with the same user who is an Administrator.

Still can't get the app to connect unless it's started manually with the MCC Windows application shortcut.
02-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Hi, the service should run with the "local system" account. But the scheduled task called "Run Media Center Control" must be set to the logged in user on which MCC was installed and should be used.